Thursday, September 12, 2013

Spanish 1--PQA for those who don't do PQA

Okay, first of all, this isn't "official" PQA.  It's more along the lines of getting the kids used to answering and volunteering.

I am in chapter 2 of LICT.  My words were "he is walking in the street" "the cow is happy", and "he is sleeping in the street".

I start out by having the students draw a 6-frame cartoon on the top half of their paper and then numbering 1-6 below the box.  I start by drawing a cow in the first box.  Then I get my victim cards.  I ask some questions whole class--Class, what is in the cartoon?  A cow.  Is the cow happy? etc.  Then I go to a victim.  One by one, I ask the following questions to victims--one question per victim.  What is the cow's name? Where is the cow (I give them lots of examples from the place cards that are around the room--the city, the country, the store, etc)?  What is the cow doing (easy--look at the vocab list--walking.  Is the cow walking in the street?

We go to the second frame and I draw the cow with a thought bubble.  Victim cards:, what does the cow want?  A friend (these are the answers that were given).  Does the cow have a friend?  Yes.  Is it a giraffe or a burro?  A burro.  Draw a burro in the thought bubble.

Next frame.  Where does the cow go?  To the burro's house.  Where does the burro live?  In the country (notice that there was nothing in the frame--they are filling it in).  Where is the burro?  In his house in the country.  Draw it in.

Next frame.  Where is the cow walking? (This is similar to the last frame.  In the last frame, the cow began to walk.  Now the burro walks to the house.)  Where is the burro?  He is sleeping.  Where is he sleeping?  In the street.

Next frame:  the cow is beside the burro.  What does the cow want?  He wants a friend.  Does he have a friend?  Yes, the burro.  Is there a problem?  Yes, the burro is sleeping.  What does the cow do?  He says, "Hi burro" (talk bubble with Hola Burro).

Last frame:  How does the cow feel now?  Why?  She is happy because she has a friend.

After this, I ask questions such as, Class, where is the cow?  What is she doing?  Where is she walking?  etc.  Then I go to the first frame and ask the students to work with their partners and write a minimum of one sentence per frame.  Then I call on individual students to read their sentences.  I write them down.  Then I ask for volunteers to add on if they have something different.  When that's done, I ask them to remember back when they did their placement writing sample.  Remember when you said you couldn't write any Spanish at all?  Wasn't that less than a month ago?  See big smiles all around.

The thing that's nice about this is that it gives them ownership of the story, while at the same time allowing me to guide it.  Plus, you get reading and writing and speaking all for the price of admission!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I always read and will respond ASAP.