Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Two recent oral stories--Spanish 2

I have recently done 2 stories with my students.  The first was asked; the second was not--I'll explain why in a bit.

Vocab for the first story:
hace un viaje, se sube, se baja (he takes a trip, he gets in, he forgets).  I also reviewed "olvido"--he forgot.

Before the story, I wrote the following instructions on the board (in Spanish).

A family takes a trip.  Where are they going?  Why?

What does the mom forget?  Where are they?

What does the dad forget?  Where are they?

What does the daughter forget?  Where are they?

What does the son forget?  Where are they?

This leads the students to think that there are four family members, but I actually only call 3 students up.  I could have called four, but I don't want that many.  You can call as many as you like. 

After the students have written their answers, I get out the victim cards and get started.  The three students are a family.  Julie, (my first victim), where is the family going?  She reads the answer from her paper.  New York.  Why?  She gives me the reason.  To see the city.  So the family gets in the car.  Then the mom says "Oh no!! I forgot..." Tom (my next victim), what did she forget?  He reads the answer from his responses.  This first time, I don't ask where they are--they're still at home.  I ask--do they all get out, or does the mom get out?  The mom gets out.  Then she returns, gets in the car again and they take their trip. 

As they're going to New York, the daughter says, "Oh no!"  Peggy (next victim), What happened?  and so on.  You can keep this going as long as you want, or until it's no longer funny.  Be sure and find out where they were on each subsequent "forgetting".  For example, Peggy had the girl realize that she forgot her makeup in Compton.  Then you ask the valid question--class, why were they in Compton if they started from Tucson and were going to New York?  Volunteers can answer that question.  (The dad wanted to visit a friend on the way).

You can end this any way you want.  What I did was have the family make it to New York when the mom cries Oh no!! What did she forget?  That she had another daughter!!  So the family gets in the car and drives back to Tucson.  They never got to see the city.

The other story I did (oral) was not asked, it was told.  The simple reason was that I have a hard time teaching on 9/11.  I needed something that I knew I could focus on and make sure that I didn't go off into something I didn't want to deal with.

I found 3 pictures of yachts:  a big fancy one, a smaller but still luxurious one, and a boat that was disgusting and obviously not seaworthy.  My vocab:  he is lucky, it sinks, he drowns.  I also included "to sail" and "port", just on the board.  I have the first yacht ready on the smartboard and change the picture as we tell the story.

A boy is not very lucky with the girls.  But one day his dad, who is very lucky, says that he one a yacht from his friend.  He likes a girl who loves to sail on yachts, so he asks her if she wants to sail with him.  She says okay, and they go to the port.    At the port, there is a beautiful yacht, and she wants to get on.  He says, "Wait--my yacht is smaller."  She gets off and they start to walk again.  She sees another yacht.  She says "This is smaller but still pretty."  She starts to get on and he says, "Wait, my yacht is a little older."  She gets off and they walk a little further.  They get to his yacht and he says "this is my yacht".  She says, "This is ugly.  I don't want to get on."  He says, "Don't you want to sail"?  So they get on and start to sail.  As they're sailing, she says, "Why is there water in the boat?"  Oh no! The boat is sinking!  They get off the boat, and nobody drowns.  The girl swims to another boat.  The boat starts to swim, but a shark sees him and eats him.  What an unlucky boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I always read and will respond ASAP.